Sunday, April 1, 2012
War- The World Is a Ghetto
World Is a Ghetto
The World Is a Ghetto is the fifth album by the band War, released in late 1972 on United Artists Records.
The album attained the number one spot on Billboard, and was Billboard magazine's Album of the Year as the best-selling album of 1973. In 2003, the album was ranked number 449 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
The album was also made available in a 4-channel surround sound (quadraphonic) mix in the 8-track tape format (United Artists UA-DA178-H).
Singles from the album include "The World Is a Ghetto" backed with "Four Cornered Room", and "The Cisco Kid" backed with "Beetles in the Bog".
The cover illustration was drawn by Howard Miller, with Lee Oskar credited with album concept.
All tracks composed by War (Papa Dee Allen, Harold Brown, B.B. Dickerson, Lonnie Jordan, Charles Miller, Lee Oskar, Howard E. Scott).
1. "The Cisco Kid" – 4:35
2. "Where Was You At" – 3:25
3. "City, Country, City" – 13:18
1. "Four Cornered Room" – 8:30
2. "The World Is a Ghetto" – 10:10
3. "Beetles in the Bog" – 3:51
* Howard Scott – guitar, percussion, vocals
* B.B. Dickerson – bass, percussion, vocals
* Lonnie Jordan – organ, piano, timbolies, percussion, vocals
* Harold Brown – drums, percussion, vocals
* Papa Dee Allen – conga, bongos, percussion, vocals
* Charles Miller – clarinet, alto, tenor and baritone saxes, percussion, vocals
* Lee Oskar – harmonica, percussion, vocals