Sunday, March 25, 2012
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Anglo-French espionage film directed by Tomas Alfredson, from a screenplay written by Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan based on the 1974 novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré. The film stars Gary Oldman as George Smiley, and co-stars Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch and Ciarán Hinds. Set in London in the early 1970s, the story follows the hunt for a Soviet double agent at the top of the British secret service.
The film was produced through the British company Working Title Films and financed by France's StudioCanal. It premiered in competition at the 68th Venice International Film Festival. The film was a critical and commercial success and was the highest-grossing film at the British box office for three consecutive weeks. It received three Academy Award nominations including a Best Actor nomination for Oldman.
* Gary Oldman as George Smiley, "Beggarman"
* Colin Firth as Bill Haydon, "Tailor"
* Tom Hardy as Ricki Tarr
* Mark Strong as Jim Prideaux
* Ciarán Hinds as Roy Bland, "Soldier"
* Benedict Cumberbatch as Peter Guillam
* David Dencik as Toby Esterhase, "Poorman"
* Stephen Graham as Jerry Westerby
* Simon McBurney as Oliver Lacon
* Toby Jones as Percy Alleline, "Tinker"
* John Hurt as Control
* Svetlana Khodchenkova as Irina
* Kathy Burke as Connie Sachs
* Roger Lloyd-Pack as Mendel
* Christian McKay as Mackelvore
* Konstantin Khabensky as Polyakov
* Tomasz Kowalski as Boris
* Zoltán Mucsi as Hungarian agent