Friday, January 27, 2012

Nothing Is Wrong by Dawes



Nothing Is Wrong by Dawes

2011 release, the sophomore album from the L.A. Folk-Rock quartet. Dawes recorded the disc at producer Jonathan Wilson's Echo Park studio late last year in between touring commitments. Nothing Is Wrong is the follow-up to the band's 2009 debut, North Hills. A collection of songs that expertly builds upon the template laid by North Hills, Nothing Is Wrong sees Dawes displaying strong growth and evolution while still manifesting their distinctive, unforgettable voice.

Dawes is a great band. One of the few bands keeping my faith in modern music alive. "North Hills" is a classic and "Nothing Is Wrong" stands solidly at its side. "Nothing Is Wrong" has markedly nicer production than "North Hills" and a handful of new classic anthems that will certainly be an important part of the Dawes catalogue for years to come. However, I have to say there are a few tracks I find myself skipping over when listening to the album. It's not that they're not good songs, it's just that they're a little slow sometimes for my taste and don't have the same hook, energy or teeth that some of the stronger songs on the album do. This is my one criticism and the only reason I can't give the album a full five stars. Basically, there's not a bad song on this album and there are a few truly great ones. My new favorite is "My Way Back Home", epic. Buy this album if you dig good music!

No comments:

Post a Comment