Monday, January 30, 2012

The 700 Club

Attention Disney- I was watching your network and am shocked at what I saw. If there are Disney Employees who monitor the web for feedback, here's some- get the 700 club off of your ABC Family Network. I will not be watching ANYTHING on ABC or ESPN until you get that crap off the air.

So, if you read that, you might have an idea where this is going. I was watching something on ABC family on Saturday night, and in the morning I turned the television on for some noise, and promptly got distracted. (Distracted in an epic way, I should add- my small white dog cornered my large black cat on a corner end table, and the cat was so distraught it projectile vomited all over the place, including all over the dog. I'm sure the cat doesn't see the whole thing as a victory, but it should. If only I had it on video. But I digress).

When I was done cleaning up the mess, I heard the television and I really couldn't believe my ears. I knew that the 700 club was a religious thing, but have you ever heard it? It is literally several hours of appeals to Christians to donate money to the 700 Club. That's really all there is, as far as I can tell. It's effing shameless and I am very disappointed with Disney for airing this garbage.

The show features vignettes about people who were down on their luck but who started giving money to the 700 club and are now doing very well. These shameless people are using Christianity- not just with the "give us money and it will help you get into heaven" appeal, but also with the "Give us money and we'll help you get richer" angle.

I'm not making this up. The following is an excerpt from their website. (I would link to it but I don't want these creeps to get any traffic from me).

For years, JD worked long hours as a regional sales manager in Texas. He and his wife Janet always paid their monthly bills on time and were even able to put a little money into a retirement account. Then JD lost his job in the stock market crash of 2008.

JD and Janet began praying together for the first time in their marriage and JD started watching The 700 club.

“The Lord reached out to me through a testimony on CBN about a woman who had experienced some similar circumstances,” says JD. “And she just prayed that the Lord would give her a second chance. And the instant I saw it, I knew that was what I needed. I needed a second chance. And the Lord just spoke to me and said that was where I needed to give.”

The couple had been faithful tithers at their church even during JD’s unemployment. He knew giving to CBN beyond that would be a stretch.

JD struggled through four months of unemployment after that, but he was finally hired as a regional sales manager, making 10% more than his last job. Then a short time later, he landed a job at a different company as a national sales rep making 50% more than he ever had before.

“I was like, wow,” says Janet. “I think that’s all I kept saying was WOW!”

JD and Janet paid off their $15,000 debt, and today they say they’re freer than they’ve ever been before.

See what I mean? That's just ONE of their testimonials! I can't believe that. It sickens me to think of them praying on not just the religious, but the financially desperate as well. During the whole program, across the bottom of the screen they have the names of people who have just donated. It made me so angry to see people who'd just signed up for $20, $40 or mor PER MONTH and who, in all likelihood, can't afford it.

(CBN referred to in the quote above by the way, is their network. The Christian Broadcast Network. It's Pat Robertson's thing. It used to be Jim Bakker's thing, who is out of jail but still apparently in debt to the IRS for all the money he swindled from his followers. Read about him at Wikipedia).

I wonder what Jesus would think of these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment