Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Celebrity Apprentice, Trainwreck du Jour

I always wondered what the appeal of Donald Trump is. Now that I've watched the Celebrity Apprentice for three seasons, I get it, but I wonder who the hell ever thought he would make a good President.

He seems kind of dumb and in constant need of reassurance that whatever decision he's making is the right one, and it seems that it's not a "tell me what you think" kind of inquiry so much as a "tell me that I'm right" situation.

Fortunately, the show doesn't feature him very much, which is probably why it's successful. I watch it on high def, and his orange tan fascinates me for the few minutes each episode we get to see him. Whatever is making him tan doesn't reach his eyelids, so he has little pink beady eyes under that crazy hair, and he's so cartoonish in his "Am I right?" patter that it's beyond entertaining.

The sad thing is that despite his spray tan and his crazy hair and his infantile obsession with reassurance, I think that he's probably undone the franchise by dipping his toe in the presidential waters. He's alienated a lot of people I know with his insane "birther" rhetoric, and now with his "Obama didn't deserve an Ivy League education" rhetoric. Obama pwned him at the correspondent's dinner the other night, and then Seth Meyer's had at him. I agree with the New York Time's description of Trump at the dinner:

According to the New York Times, Trump was "hair-gelled, grimly unsmiling" during the roast.

It was almost painful to watch, the juxtaposition of the president, flexing his new post-birther comedy chops, and the real estate mogul-cum-politician, grimacing at his table as Mr. Obama basked in his post-long-form-birth-certificate glow.

Watch for yourself:

He should have stayed a cartoonish businessman.

Trump's snippy comments the next day didn't help him any, either.

Anyhow:
Let me stop here and add that I love Ivanka Trump. When I started watching the show I was neutral on her, now I'm a big fan.

I also like the cheeseball son, Donald Trump, Jr., with his forced smile and awkwardness. Eric Trump, however, needs to be kept away from the cameras, he's just creepy looking.

But the reason I'm writing this is the current week's episode. Trump has just allowed Latoya Jackson back in the game (And yes, I will admit that I am mesmerized by her enormous breasts). Meanwhile, Nene Leakes and Star Jones are going at it. I dislike them both enormously.

I had never heard of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, and wow, if this woman is an example of the sort of entertainment it provides, I will not be watching, (though according to Wikipedia, lots of people do like it). I assume that it's a lot of this loud-mouthed giantess Nene Leakes yelling at people. I find it troubling that we are putting so many people who "keep it real" on television just because they are entertaining. I think this woman is an immature dumbass who doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut from what I've seen on this show and I shudder to think what she's like on Real Housewives, or worse yet, in real life.

I had only heard bad things about Star Jones before this show- that she was using all of her contacts to extort freebies and upgrades for her wedding or something, and that Barbara Walters and she had a public falling out that led to Star's dismissal from The View. While I haven't seen the "back-stabbing" and "manipulation" that Nene accuses her of, I have seen enough of Star to know that she's toxic.

I will watch the end of this season for certain, in the hopes that someone good wins, though I believe the outcome of the show is already set before they actually start filming and Trump simply fires people and keeps people based on ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment